Sunday, June 29, 2014

244) Something special



Spotted Pardalote
Finally!
We headed over to one of the great bird walks around Enoggera Reservoir to see what we could see. Its still winter here so it was chilly and the birds were slow to become active. As we walked along I heard Nancy's muffled "Diiirk...!" behind me and turned to see her point at something invisible about 3 ' off the ground. "He's here! no there!...". I finally picked out the most cooperative Spotted Pardalote we have even seen.

We have heard, them, seen them, followed them, thrashed through the bush in pursuit, and tried (mostly in vain) to photograph these exquisite birds. They inhabit the HIGH reaches of eucalypts feeding on lerps and such. They have a piecing song making them seem much closer than they are and  I have found them extraordinarily hard to photograph (though some folks claim to be able to "phish" them into coming close, I think my accent is wrong). So finding a pair (I missed the female) mere feet away (I had to back up to focus) and relatively calm was great fun!


Scarlet Robin
Last weekend we took a day to drive to our favorite granite country area in Giraween National Park with some avid birdos from Nancy's lab. Many of the usual suspects were seen but  Megan knew of a out-of-the-way meadow that was chockers with robins. Lo and behold, there were 2 pairs flirting about in various poses. As seen below, these guys rather standout and we could pick them out from a looong way away!
Can you find the Robin?

No comments: