Monday, January 14, 2013

197) Island life



Kilauea Crater

A few (well one) of my best and dearest, suggested I have taken to the Island Life and started slacking. Let me assure you that is not so. I have doggedly chased about in search of birds in the farthest reaches, slogged in the rain across high craters, braved blazing sun on glassy basaltic plains, stood out in Vog (yes that is real - look it up!) waiting for the poisonous sulpher fumes to clear and the stars to glimmer (why people think flash will help is beyond me...)


At the end of a long dirt road is is the Hakalau Wildlife refuge at 6500' on the slopes of Mauna Kea. I'ivi were in abundance but notable was this Hawaii Elepaio flycatcher.




 The petroglyphs at Pu'u Loa in Volcanoes Nat'l Park were quite excellent. Though how the carvers found this little knob in that huge lava plain is a mystery.














An Apapane having a bath



















OK - maybe a little slacking... Sadly no Beach Boys on the radio.... crusin' with the top down.....












1 comment:

nancy said...

awesome star/volcano pic! A convertible? Hmmm...another of your best and dearest may start wondering, too!!