Monday, November 16, 2009

86.) Blowin' in the Wind

After 10 days of the November doldrums, we had a surprise 20-25 knot Nor'easter pop up. It was time to play hooky from the Uni and get out!

It was a day of really choppy conditions and some pretty big 1.5-2 m swells "out back" of the breakers. My practice days up on the flat water cable-tow did not really pay off, as I found myself catching my edge in the chop and snorting saltwater in a few spectacular crashes.

Dropping in between the breakers on the way in is a serious thrill - great gnashing wave on your heels, glassy trough under your board and water that is getting *shallow* (don't biff here!)



We are all waiting for the summer so'easters to start up (January). Apparently the wave conditions are smoother and the afternoon sea-breezes are steadier. The great part is that I am getting comfortable out in the surf - I don't mind the frequent dousing and getting taken out by breakers I misjudge. It is a really exciting 3-D environment trying work with the kite, the board and the waves.

Maybe soon -the "downwinder"!





View from the beach - If you click on this picture (to enlarge it) you can find my head above the wave. I am indeed still cruising along in the trough between the waves - a 'moderate' surf day!

















Lots of folks came out to play as we all headed out to the outer sand bar (just shy of the shark-nets (which I don't want to visit - I have visions of hordes of white-pointers patrolling just on the other side! (I am the green kite)








A little video of me heading out through the breakers. I have not yet mastered the wave jumping part - I do occasionally catch air by accident but the landings are- well , rather dramatic yard-sales! Jumps are going to take some time as the kite takes my direction into its own head!

No comments: