Monday, November 17, 2008

39) Redemption of a sort

(Solo kiter off Miami Beach as the sun sets on the towers of Surfer's Paradise)

After my less-than-stellar kiting performance up on the Broadwater, I needed to have another go at the kiting effort down at Currumbin. At the mouth of Currumbin Creek (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=currumbin) is a sheltered area protected from big waves by a sand bar. The major down-side is a rock weir protecting the N side of the entrance from errosion -- not a good place to get dragged by an out-of-control kite! Currently there is also a sand dredge - a nasty piece of work parked in the widest part of the creek to pump river sand onto the next beach N and keep the longshore current from eroding the beach away.

But there was some wind and Nancy was willing to be my launcher so I headed up there. There was a horde (well, maybe 10) of kiters at work. Throwing big jumps, flips, leaping up over the rocks, flying over the sand bar. Very talented, very intense.... very ... tribal.

Many tattoos in evidence, piercings, pony tails, serious tans, ripped physiques, and piritanical queues. A parrot...

And then... there was me.

I wondered how I was going to go practice in such a small crowded area. I couldn't stray downwind - the damn dredge was there. Can't go upwind - the channel narrows and the rocks are up there. I needed to go in the broadest, safest part - right where every one else was throwing tricks, carving toeside, making it look really easy!

Not to worry! Nancy helped me get the kite up, I dawdled about recalling last weeks ignominious dragging across the Broadwater behind a hopelessly fouled kite. Here at least I would only get my kite wrapped up in the nasty machinery or accidentally take out some semi-pro kiter and have my flight license revoked. I sat, placed board on feet and took by first hesitant, wobbling run out into the water - lo and behold, the way was clear! The proverbial seas of kites had parted and there was not a kiting-soul in sight! They had taken one look at my prowess....and... all....moved....away!

So I had fun, bumbling back and forth, getting in short runs, only losing my board once -- get dragged back to shore, land the kite, walk windward, dive in and swim out to retrieve it.) I only crashed the kite into one windsurfer (he was a beginner too but I knocked him down anyway - he moved away to a safe upwind spot.)

I continued to putter about with abandon and get in some good practice. I have to get at this because once Nancy gets on a board I will be playing catch-up. As everyone knows, she is much better balanced than I am.....

Unfortunately - rain forecast all week! No after work practice. Nuts....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it is so weird that you are starting spring! We got our first frost warning tonight/

Greag Blog, Hope all is great

Paul